Monday 18 January 2016

Did you attend a training course? Whoopee, lets share your details!

I have been on a couple of business training courses over the last week. Both of them were signed up to online and neither told me what they would do with my information, so that's the first mistake!

When I got to the training courses, both provided an attendee list which showed name, business name and a brief outline of what the business does.

A few days later I received an email from the training company asking if they can share my contact details with the other attendees. If I do not wish to share my information I have 24 hours to send an email opting out. Mistakes 2 and 3.

The email requesting that I share my contact details does not tell me which contact details they are planning to share. They may have my postal address but definitely have my email address and mobile number as a minimum so are they planning on sharing all my contact details or just some of them and if so which ones?

Also by requesting that you respond by opting out, they run the risk of sharing someone's contact details who may not have had time to review their emails and respond within the timescale laid down but who doesn't want to share their information. They should have asked people to opt in.

So how could this have been done more effectively?
1 - When they collected the information, they should have said how they are going to hold that information and for how long.
2 - Will I be on a mailing list?
3 - Stating that it will be on an Attendee list.
4 - What information they plan to share with other delegates and seeking permission to do so.
All of this could have been completed at the time of sign-up.

It would have been more straightforward to tell all the attendees to find each other on LinkedIn and connect that way. Needing no facilitation by the training company. 

So with a bit of planning and some knowledge of Data Protection requirements, life could have been a lot easier for the training company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment